htmlMailOrder email result

idaryl

2006-09-16 09:25

I've been successful in installing the QC, with plugin Manager 2.0, and just installed the htmlmailOrderdetails - I also followed that great answer to a problem -- http://opensolution.org/Quick.Cart/forum/?p=readTopic&nr=2530 - and it all works fine

but -- is there a way to reformat the resulting email so it is spaced, indented a little better (I tried using /n/r to create new lines but err! it did'nt work, so does <br> not work either

Anyone have an idea or show me where I can "fix" this...

Wulfgen

wizzud

No avatar

2006-09-17 19:11

It uses the print template file (orders_print.tpl).
If you change the print template file then those changes will also be reflected in the email.
For the text version, it strips the HTML from the print template output, and if you feel brave you can play with this if you wish - see the function _formatAsText at the bottom of the qcMailer.class.php file.

idaryl

2006-09-22 03:11

Looked at that - its beyond my meager scope - I tried to remove some of the script functions from the match() call, but got no results i is the orignal author of that file somewhere about that can give me some pointers?

Wulfgen

idaryl

2006-09-23 23:55

Anybody out there that can help with this/

Wulfgen

chrepair

No avatar

2006-10-08 00:06

I would like to find out this answer too. I followed the link and made changes as instructed but it od not work. In fact, this made the print page pop up and tell me that there was an error and operation not complete, or something like that. So, i had to change this back to the origonal source code. Any ideas gfolks?

idaryl

2006-10-14 05:59

Anyone......?

Wulfgen

treewood (OpenSolution)

2006-10-14 08:03

idaryl - if You see no answer then maybe try to contact with author of plugin? You have contact to him in plugin info

idaryl

2006-10-15 01:29

Sorry Treewood,

if you follow the above thread I asked if the author was available somewhere and..... lo he was but answered me in such an ambiguos way I didnt know that he was the person I was asking for (wizzud)

here is a quick recap --
(1) I asked about the author
(2) the author replied without (a) answering the question (b) not identifying themselves - which led to me posting again/and others as well (c) expecting me to 'understand' a function and -- I was told to "play with this if you wish" a function in the js code, which in fact I did, but got nowhere..
(3) Now we are here, again, and I feel as if I've done something wrong, been chastized for asking, and for what? asking a question, given the run-around, then being punished for not knowing to whom I'm speaking?

Am I mad, no, just a little frustrated is all

Again, sorry - ps, I did leave a note at his area.

Wulfgen

wizzud

No avatar

2006-10-15 10:12

idaryl >>
Actually,regarding your 'recap', if one was to follow the postings above ...

(1) There is no mention of 'author' anywhere in the initial post

(2) My reply...
- a) answers the question "is there a way ...?" by pointing you towards the template involved, and indicating where to modify code to change the text version of the email, even though it is not specified in the initial post whether it is the HTML or text version that requires changing. It also, by reason of the fact that I did post a reply, answers the question "Anyone have an idea...?".
- b) identifies me quite clearly as 'wizzud', which is the way I have identified myself on every post I have ever made to this forum, and, with reference to the documentation that accompanies my plugins, could quite reasonably be inferred as being me, the plugin's author!
- c) makes an inference (apparently unjustified) about the level of competence of the initial poster, based on the explained steps that had already been attempted, although what was not explained was where the changes had been tried or exactly what version needs 'fixing'. Having made an educated guess that the text version is the one in question, I 'suggested' that a function in the PHP (not js!) code might be a place to start looking, with - what I thought - was an implication that the code was relatively complex and that care should be taken.

(3) I can find no hint of chastisement or punishment in any of the above posts, nor can I see anything that could possiby be inferred as giving you the 'run-around'. If anyone (myself included) had told you to look somewhere that had no connection to the plugin in question, then that would classify as a run-around. As for "knowing who you're speaking to", well, this is a forum so technically you're 'speaking' to whoever reads the post, not necessarily just the person who posts a reply - in this case myself and others! You seem to want to blame me for not saying "Hey, this is me! I wrote this plugin so I'm the only one who can or should be doing anything about responding!". I don't think so! As treewood said, my contact details are readily available with all my plugins (and I have received your latest 'note' thank you).

One thing to bear in mind is that I, like anyone else, need to earn a living, and I do not always have the time to regularly visit this forum and provide all the help that I might like to (or choose to).

Now, if you would care to be a little more precise regarding what it is that you wish to change - specifically. whether its the HTML or text version - then I may be able to assist. But, as I tried to indicate in my initial response, there are limitations as to what can be changed in the HTML because the plugin produces HTML in the exact same format as prints, so changing one affects the other. For text versions, it also takes the print template as the starting point and simply applies some manipulation to remove HTML tags, or possiby replace with line breaks.

idaryl

2006-10-16 03:39

OK to be precise - the email file that the (js) code in the [unction _formatAsText at the bottom of the qcMailer.class.php produces - [It uses the print template file orders_print.tpl] .as I mentioned in my second post (not first because at that time I didnt know that)

You told me to go play with it, when I do, I get no results, because it strips out the /n/r in the body of the email - I asked here if there was a workaround, because you have your forum turned off! So my only alertnative was this area. I was told to contact the author, but the area designed in your area for that (your forum) is inactive, using your email contact also produced no result - so I came back here.... and yes on a forum you have no idea to whom you are speaking to. So using that as a benchmark, how do you expect me to know the identity of wizzud especially if I loaded a set of files from another source QCcart 1.4 form (claps) which includes the html order details - I'm sorry I didn't read every single install file provided...

And I thought that by asking this "is there a way to reformat the resulting email so it is spaced, indented a little better (I tried using /n/r to create new lines but err! it did'nt work, so does <br> not work either"
from the very first post was pretty precise - it asks if there is a way to reformat the resulting email! -- Is there a way to do this or not?

I hate making bad vides unnecessarily - but why do I have to fight with you for an answer?

Wulfgen

wizzud

No avatar

2006-10-16 14:21

Well excuse me!
Actually I don't have a forum at all so I' d be interested to know where you think you've found one that is 'turned off'?
You did use my email contact, resulting in my post above less than half a day later. I deliberately chose to respond here in the forum ... I wonder if you can guess why?
I go to a lot of trouble writing the About... documents that accompany my plugins, AND I even make them accessible from Plugin Manager by simply clicking a button. Is it too much to expect people to make the effort to read them when they have a problem or don't know how to do something?

I'm (still) guessing that its the text version you wish to modify the format of. You have obviously looked at the PHP code in the _formatAsText method at the bottom of qcMailer.class.php and noted that it basically strips out all HTML from what starts out as an order print, and does its best to format the resultant plain text consistently.
What changes do you have in mind to the text format? If you would care to send me a 'before' and 'after' version then I will see what I can do, but I can't do anything without knowing what end result is required.

idaryl

2006-10-16 18:45

Your address :http://www.wizzud.com/

Your comment on home page: PS. If you're looking for somewhere to register for a login account, don't bother - registration is currently disabled until such time as I have content that justifies non-public viewing.

(justifies non-public viewing)? just how much offensive mail do you get? to warrant that statement? and if so...why?

I've used your email more than once - you've only responded to the messages HERE, as you just stated you received my email... why use this area to reply and/or "big-note' yourself -- if you want to say something "whatever" to me, by all means say it - you have my email... don't use this area as an place to expound yourself.

here is a copy of what I wrote you

----------
This is a copy of the following message you sent to Roger Barrett via Wizzuds Website

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.wizzud.com from:
Daryl Isaacs <idaryl@darylisaacs.com>

Hello,

I've been trying to get an answer to this:
http://opensolution.org/Quick.Cart/forum/?p=readTopic&nr=2858

and didnt know you were the actual author of this - that threw me a bit, when you stated I should play with something if I felt brave - it sounded like you were handing out advice rather than a solution - do you have a way to do it? you wrote it..

--------
It uses the print template file (orders_print.tpl).
If you change the print template file then those changes will also be reflected in the email.
For the text version, it strips the HTML from the print template output, and if you feel brave you can play with this if you wish - see the function _formatAsText at the bottom of the qcMailer.class.php file.
idaryl

2006-09-22 03:11:20 Looked at that - its beyond my meager scope - I tried to remove some of the script functions from the match() call, but got no results i is the orignal author of that file somewhere about that can give me some pointers?

-----------

Where is the harm in this?

I know you have something good to offer the community at large with your additions to the cart - but - that does not mean you have to be somewhat more than anyone else. (I guess the answer to my question is no)

The only thng you mention in your docs/? (I go to a lot of trouble writing the About... documents that accompany my plugins) one html file contains this:
--------
HTML Format
The body of the message for an HTML-formatted email message is the same as that produced for an order print. The differences are that full URLs are used where possible, and any JavaScript-inserted stylesheets have been replaced with the relevant HTML.
Top of Page
Text Format
The body of the message for a text-formatted message is derived from the HTML-format message (above). It is stripped of all JavaScript, HTML tags, and surplus white-space (except within double quotes). Some replacement of HTML entities is done, and, where possible, fields within containing TR tags are put on the same line of text
-----------
Nothing dealing with what I'm asking about.......

Please use my email (you have it) - I look forward to our next thrust and parry - but stop trying to make me out to be the bad guy - especially here!!

wizzud

No avatar

2006-10-17 19:34

enough

idaryl

2006-10-18 23:30

Wizzud and I have solved our dilemma - thankz wizzud

KiralyVlad

No avatar

2006-11-05 20:29

It would be nice if you would tell us how you did change the e-mail !!!

idaryl

2006-11-06 21:40

I did'nt - I realized that if I tried screwing with the js function (function _formatAsText) It has some built in requirements to strip out the /n/r whatever, it affects the resulting printout schema for the print orders section - actually it was a cosmetic thing a client wanted, but after lenghty discussion with both the client and Wizzud, the question was dropped.

KiralyVlad

No avatar

2006-11-08 19:52

That's weird.... I played with the main php code and managed to add some text right between the logo and the e-mail...... BUT.... I've added it in HTML language, and if it would be sent as text, it wouldn't get passed through the formatAsText function.... and that ain't quite what we're hoping for.... :)

Maybe Wizzud would make a customizable script some day.... I guess that would please much people...

KiralyVlad

No avatar

2006-11-08 19:55

I've even though of addind a hidden <div> in the orders_print page.... I guess that would probably get stripped off as well.... didn't try it yet...

idaryl

2006-11-09 10:44

i tried a few different flavors of it but....as you can see it sparked a lively conversation, sorry I can't be of more help..... however, if you find a solution, please let me know (just for my own peace of mind) ;-)

about us | contact