QC 1.3 loaded with FCK editor

nam

2006-08-12 19:54

Claps, you've done an excellent job on the 1.3 loaded QC. Unbelievable! I've only just got round to trying it out and it all works beautifully...

But, one thing that would be VERY useful is the FCK editor somehow incorporated within the loaded version of QC. I'm using the FCK editor now within earlier versions of QC and it's a major improvement because the HTML editor within QC is not really good enough to format text in an interesting way. If you could somehow employ the FCK editor within 1.3 loaded version of QC it would be the final major improvement to an already excellent product...

do, or do not - there is no try (Yoda)

Claps

2006-08-14 07:34

nam - I was thinking about it, but there are other factors to be considered (size of the package is one!). But if enough users demands it, ok.

metjes

No avatar

2006-08-14 09:20

I agree with "nam". I also think it could be very useful. Does size matter these days?
This is my demand;-)
Claps - thanks great job!

wewior (OpenSolution)

2006-08-14 09:32

maybe just plugin for loaded version and if user wants use fck he will use it, because installing fck in qc multiplies its size... is it necessery to download fck package with qc, when you may download only plugin (or instruction) for integrate fck...

nam

2006-08-14 12:32

Claps, I understand what you're saying about the eventual size of the pacage - but, one thing I've noticed is that with the FCK editor you don't need to use all of the functions. I am only using about a third of the toolbar components - 'add table', 'type of font', 'size of font', 'left justify', etc, etc. This reduces the eventual size because not all the components are needed to be uploaded onto the site with the package. Also, there is a lot of extra docs, images, skins, files, templates, help files, with FCK that can be left out. I'm using a very slimline version of FCK and it works fine - I've been able to take a lot of redundant stuff out without 'breaking' the functionality of the editor.

It's fine with me if you don't want to try it, but keep it in mind for a future addition... Or, maybe a different, more smaller, HTML editor instead of FCK.

Claps

2006-08-14 12:50

nam - I'm working on it. The next version of QC loaded will definitely have an HTML editor in it, FCK or other.

Claps

2006-08-14 14:45

OK, i made some tests, and managed to strip off FCK editor with all functions from 2 Mb around 800 k, and around 320 k zipped. There are some issues with Opera , and I think that is possible to shrink it more, but I need more time to test it. Maybe tomorrow I will pack a zip with shrinked FCK and wrote some instructions about installing it in QC 1.3.

nam

2006-08-14 15:16

Claps - you're a hero!

The functions that I find most useful to use in FCK are: (in fckconfig.js)

FCKConfig.ToolbarSets["Default"] = [
['Source','DocProps','-','Preview'],
['Cut','Copy','Paste','PasteText','PasteWord'],
['Undo','Redo','-','Bold','Italic','Underline','StrikeThrough'],
'/',
['OrderedList','UnorderedList','-','Outdent','Indent'],
['JustifyLeft','JustifyCenter','JustifyRight','JustifyFull','PageBreak'],
['Link','Unlink','Anchor'],
['Table','Rule','SpecialChar'],
['TextColor','BGColor'],
'/',
['Style','FontFormat','FontName','FontSize']
] ;

All other functions are unnecessary and only add to the overall size, such as 'insert image' which you can do with QC admin anyway, but the font formatting (size, colour, etc) are VERY USEFUL and make much more interesting pages.

I was able to strip the size of FCK down myself but, not being a 'proper' programmer didn't want to go too far before it stopped working altogether, but I was never able to reduce it to 800k. That's good! and small enough I think to package it with QC loaded. If you can sort the other issues out then the product is complete!

Claps

2006-08-14 15:28

Well, I have to consider more factors regarding size. At the moment the fully loaded QC on my computer has around 2 Mb zipped, which is big. I will probably strip off big files and provide links to them separatelly.

about us | contact