After using & configuring QuickCart for few weeks now (almost daily) I feel that following features are the most essential in the future
- Payment module with proper documentation. The world is full of different payment gateways.. This is the most essential feature?
- Support for downloadable products. Zen-Cart, OsCommerce etc all have this feature but they've made it really complex to use. QuickCart can easily take a lead on this area by making this feature easy to use. All it needs is a secure links to the files associated with a product (with expire feature of coz).
- Admin should be able to choose if payment is required before order is saved into database. This is a must with downloadable products.
- Few custom fields for product data. Eg. user1, user2, user3. In this way we could include catalogue numbers etc with products and/or even use that as a variable in templates. For example music store can put mp3 flash player into template which loads mp3 preview automaticly using this user data as a part of filename.
- User database (even newsletter plugin would make more sense after this not to mention storing address and courier information)
- MySQL support
I agree with u, but on the other side QC is and must remain a simple (not complete) ecommerce sollution....
Perhaps we need to re-think the meaning of simple, if somehow we think it means "not complete."
If QuickCart is not a "complete" solution, then it needs to be a class. It is not a class. It tries to be a complete store.
We should not use "simple" as an excuse to avoid features that would make QuickCart simpler to use.
Which brings us back to subliner's statements:
* a client area and payment module integration are not optional, they are "must haves."
* A newsletter feature is a natural outgrowth of the client area, but not a must.
* A clear plugin structure with documentation is a must.
thanks for suggestions. about documentation i agree. other we think we will not change this situation. i think plugins will solve this problems.
i created so many carts that dont need newsletter or client area. most clients use this carts ones or twice no more.
subliner, Phil > if Zen-Cart and osCommerce have some features you need use them. We don't want to go same way, write "complete" as you said e-commerce solution. Our script is simple and this is its biggest advantage.
All, or almost all of features you mention are available as plug-ins, but unfortunately - only in Poland. We want to give you possibility to buy this plug-ins, but now I can't tell you when it will be possible.
Could you point out the plug-ins? I am especially interested in user integration. Even if it is not in the right language I am sure many would be interested.
I want to make sure Subliner's other questions do not get lost:
- downloadable products, and admin able to choose if order must be paid for in order to be saved
- custom fields
Regarding MySQL--you've rejected that before. Some users have nevertheless created MySQL versions. Perhaps someone will post about it.
I agree for documentation.
About MySQL, I guess I prefer without since there are other scripts who provide with it. The reason why I use/choose Quick cart before is it doesnt have that feature. some free hosting sites don't cater db...and that's my problem.
Nice to see some converstation here :)
What I really need to implement is a finnish payment gateway which is really popular here.. I could try to do see how Paypal is done and try to copycat that code but I want to be 100% sure it works and not cause unstable shop after I'm done..
Also to be able to get paid before having order saved is something I need to have really really bad. I suppose it's only matter of where you place that paypal code?
I would be more than happy to pay something for this..
Then those custom fields and downloadable products would be really nice extra but not that critical just yet.
When working with the shop I do mis a few important things (see other threads with questions about this from me)
* SSL checkout * Checkbox for 'must accepting terms and conditions' before sending the data
I would like to run a quick.cart shop but I have nothing with the shop if these things (most important: checkbox) does not come along standard.
IMHO, the possiblity to create plugins (and the documentation on how to do it) are one of the most important things.
I work with some other "simple" solutions and in these projects the same discussions met to plugins too. So, everyone has the choice to use a small and simple solution and/or to make it a little more complex.