v1.0 - Product Attributes

Arpan

No avatar

2006-01-11 22:00

First, let me complement you on a superb shopping cart -> simple, small, attractive, standards compliant and very clean code.

For a shopping cart that I want to implement, I want to be able to add product attributes like size ( S, M, L, XL) and color (red, white, blue).

In the plugins section, there is a plugin for something like that, but it is for v0.3.

Is an upgrade planned being worked on? If not, I would be happy to contribute towards that. If someone would guide me as to the best way to do that.

Would it be possible to implement it is a seperate plugin, or would I need to change the core code.

Thanks for your help.
Arpan.

Arpan

No avatar

2006-01-11 22:29

Just a follow-up to the previous question.

How large an upgrade is v1.0? Does it add many features and is it stable enough for a website?

Also, will many of the pugins be updated soon?

What is the better choice -- starting with an older version (0.3), which has the plugins, or using v1.0 and adapting the plugins for my own use and help to update them.

Note: I know PHP a bit, and might be able to update the plugins, but I'm not sure if I am good enough to create entire plugins on my own.

Thanks again for any advice that you may have to give.

Ashen

No avatar

2006-01-12 06:07

Hey Arpan, I'm in the same boat as you.

As far as I can tell:
- 1.0 is stable enough to run as a website, it runs fine out of the box.
- 1.0 has no plugins at this point, however, some of the areas of code havent been hugely worked on and as such some plugins are/should be simple to update.

FYI, (as far as I can tell) all plugins are are re-written copies of current function calls. This means, even though (as far as I am aware) there isn't a plugin manager, you can simply open a .3 plugin, find the 1.0 plugin call, and go through the function line by line, translating the code to suit accordingly.

Should there be a plugin manager you can then very easly copy the new function out into a plugin file and put the old code back in there.

I would personally like to see more people starting to work with 1.0, so I would selfishly ask you to try 1.0 first, but of course, there is nothing wrong with working with 0.3 (I have in the past used it, and its a very decent script).

As far as changes go, I'm not really sure. I've noticed that categories are handled in a better way, and that there are slight differences in the themes (suggesting more flexability???). Other than that I'm not quite sure... I imagine there are a couple of bugfixes and the like...

I'm sticking with 1.0 though, because although at this stage its got a couple of downsides, I figure the momentum in its development (and therein the tendency to get in and check things out and help people overcome bugs and things) is quite a bit greater.

Hope I've helped somewhat.

Oh... I'm going to look into converting the attribute plugin in a minute. I'll post what I find here....

Cheers.
Ash.

Arpan

No avatar

2006-01-12 12:59

Hi Ashen,
how knowledgeable about PHP are you? I'm a designer primarily, and even when I code, I prefer Ruby on Rails. So, my PHP knowledge is not that great.

But I'm willing to tackle porting the plugin to v1.0, if I can get some help with testing, and tracking bugs, as well as more information on what files would need to be undated etc.

You interested in helping me with this?
Arpan

Ashen

No avatar

2006-01-12 13:59

I can help certianly if you're up to the challenge of converting it.

My email is " copyright 8 6 at gmail d0t c0m " if you want to contact me, we can figure out plans.

I'm primarily a designer also, however, I have been getting heavily into grunt php work in the last few months so I'm sure I can be of help.

Cheers.
Ash.

pawe

No avatar

2006-01-13 10:18

How does it go with your plans? Tell me if i could help in any way...

about us | contact