green as grass - need a quick run through

Jedi Hunter

No avatar

2005-12-01 06:43

I've just downloaded the qc and I've set some it up and I'm working my way into the configuring of stuff. My question is, how do I go about actually adding my products - where do I put them, where do I creat them, ect.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

marcopolo

No avatar

2005-12-01 09:35

go to :

http://www.thetexasgourmet.com/Quick.cart/admin

Username
Passwort

And then you can add your products

Jedi Hunter

No avatar

2005-12-01 14:04

I got that far, it's just literally adding the picture and discriptions?

marcopolo

No avatar

2005-12-01 14:32

if you like ;

write an email to marcopolo@unicum.de ;
give your passwort - i will look at your shop and help ,

Jedi Hunter

No avatar

2005-12-01 20:15

I'm not wanting someone to do it for me - or possibly corrupt what I have (no offense if you're honestly trying to help) I would just like some one to walk me through adding my products.

AIM - JediKnightTI
MSN - TwistedjediImage@hotmail.com

Again, thank you to the 'experts' - everyone has to start somewhere...

Jedi Hunter

No avatar

2005-12-01 23:07

Alright, I went at it and started adding my products (didn't chmod 777, oops). Anyways, I still have a few questions:

-changing the 'start page' to another page, i.e about us
-the layout of the products list page - I've been reading the other topics to see is I can work my way into this program and I've seen stuff about getting plugins..well that is my next question
-I know I get the plugins from the download area - but how do I install them without messing up what I have already configured?
-payment gate ways: my last (but not final question for now) if my client has a payment gateway, how do I go about using it or what steps do I need to take in Quick Cart to make my s-cart "live"

Learning from you guys, THANKS

wizzud

No avatar

2005-12-02 10:45

Very brief run through:

1. In Admin - configuration there is a field labelled 'Start page'. The dropdown contains a list of all the 'content' type pages you have added (or were originally provided) via the categories - add function. It defaults to productsList (which is a special setting, not a content-type page!) but can be changed to any page you wish, ie. aboutUs.

2. The layout of all pages is stored in template files (*.tpl) in sub-folders under the templates folder. (Actually this depends on the version of QC you are running: for QCv0.3.* this is correct; for QCv1.0 its slightly different in that the shop templates are at the templates folder level, with only the admin templates in a sub-folder, and you change styles by setting up different stylesheets - I'm going to assume you're using v0.3.1!). If you want to muck about with the layout then the best thing to do is make a new folder under templates and copy all the files from default into it. The new folder should then appear in the Template dropdown list on the Admin - configuration page, and you can switch to by selecting it and saving. Then if you want make changes to the templates you always have a fallback (the original default set). As for which template file to change ... well there's one there called 'products_list.tpl'.

3. Still based on the asumption you are using v0.3.1 - there are currently no plugins available for v1.0 - any plugin comes with installation instructions. Some require editting of code files and/or templates, and you can only find out which by reading the howTo.txt files that come with them. There are two basic guidelines I can give you: (a) always install and test on a test version of QC before going near your live (or initended live) shop! (b) if required to edit any file, make a backup copy of it first so that you have something to revert to or compare against if something doesn't work later!
In general, the plugins aren't there to mess things up but to enhance the functionality.

4. Payment gateways are a bit problem with QC because basically there aren't any currently provided, either in the base version, or any plugins. There is basic solution for PayPal (search the forum) which requires an edit of a templates file but doesn't go beyond that (ie. storing any extra payment details). If you need an interface to a PSP then your only option at this point in time is to either code one yourself or pay someone else to do it for you, ie. customise QC to fit your needs. It is perfectly possible to do, and is actually fairly straightforward for someone understands the way QC works, its just that its not that simple to provide in the form of plugins that any Tom, Dick or Harry would be comfortable to install (I'm working on it but don't hold your breath!).

Basically, play with it. If you take just the tiniest amount of care you can change anything you like because you can always change it back!

about us | contact