A request for the next major release of QC

Didier31

2008-12-29 08:38

Hello Happy Developpers,

May I suggest to make language independent the next major version of QC?
This will ease DRAMATICALLY the implementation of a new language.

As I do not see why architecture, design and database files should be language related, to me this feature could be definitely disabled.

What do other users think about this ?
Thanks.

» Quick.Cart v3.x

26 years of DEC support, that is a wonderful job.

treewood (OpenSolution)

2008-12-30 08:26

Thanks for suggestion. We will think about it. Maybe some users will write here their opinions too.

beholder

2008-12-30 16:30

concerning language features of QC: although installation of new language is quite elaborate, the languages feature as it is implemented is woderful, it actually allows for several independent webshops within one installation of quick cart. That is, when the "google bug" is solved or my CheckUpdate plugin is used.

Didier31

2009-01-02 16:03

beholder, you exactly made the point.
Why would someone build different webshops in different languages?

If I want to build different webshops, I create as many Internet addresses as the shops I wish, then I build my shops. Period.

No ?

26 years of DEC support, that was a wonderful job.

beholder

2009-01-02 17:06

well, to explain myself better: it allows you to create different 'sections' of one big webshop. My brother used this when his old db was too big. He split webshop into "games" section (one 'language') and "hardware" section (another 'language'). The result is a very nice website, tigerware.sk (link intentionally not included). You can check it out yourself, the top-most menu switches between various webshops and on the far left there is 'hardware' and on the far right there is 'games' link. These both are in one installation of QC, so all orders are on one place. This is superb for those users that have server memory problems (too many categories/products/files in one language).

Of course, it was needed to tweak the language switching mechanism (via CheckUpdate plugin) to compensate for "google problem" - that will however be corrected in the next version of QC.

Didier31

2009-01-02 18:17

you are tricky !
"games" and "hardware" are categories, not languages. So we speak the same... language :-)

26 years of DEC support, that was a wonderful job.

beholder

2009-01-02 22:17

I would call them "uber-categories" (or sections), because that's what they are. The main advantage of these sections is that all orders from the website end up in the same place (two websites or two sub-domains would have this different). The other advantage is that the whole site is less resource-hungry because it is split into two or more sections.

treewood (OpenSolution)

2009-01-05 11:45

Didier31 - we made this database independece because in our country (poland) is only one language. I know that in France, USA etc. there are peoples that uses many languages for example english, spanish... But we made this product from polish situation and mostly for users from poland. In our situation if someone have shopping cart in english or other language (as we do) then it will be for export.
Some users we know sells for polish people much more products then for other peoples for many reasons problems with delivery of specifig product etc.

We had shopping cart with plugins and we sell plugins but we had some plugins that works only in poland because we have our polish payments systems, auction systems, polish different law etc and we had more plugins only for polish users and for rest we sell only universal plugins not specific for country.

Of course i understand your wishes but in our situation is more usefull this structure then yours.

Didier31

2009-01-05 17:31

Thanks, I understand very well.
So, I will be pleased to release a "plugin" to make the product language independent, but for that I need an official authorization from OpenSolution.

about us | contact