Integration with existing website

JamieF

No avatar

2006-12-11 19:17

I have encounted some solutions for incorporating quick.cart into existing websites, but I think the current version makes their solutions obsolete. One extensive solution is really about incorporating a web site INTO quick.cart (i.e. the designer grabs his/her "header" and footer" and pastes them into quick.cart template pages.

Im very much interesting in knowing how one goes about pulling the necessary code FROM QUICK.CART into an exisiting website, changing the necessary webpages from .html to .php to do so, and have no problem running an invisible cart in a subfolder beneath the active web.

Can someone direct me to a step by step beginning: What code? do I need to use an include statement? etc. How to pull just the necessary barebones code into an custom design?

Thanks in advance.

jat

No avatar

2006-12-12 09:02

you can try to integrate the quickcart into an exisitng web page by means of an IFRAME (and some additional javascript code that dunamically changes the height of the iframe)

I used this method on http://www.webshop.ucreate.eu

feedback is appreciated

JamieF

No avatar

2006-12-12 09:36

This is not what Im look for. What you have here is what we call in Joomla/Mambo a "wrapper".

I have a unique design for the display of the quickcart system, unique boxes, unique cart, colours, a popup page I prefer for the View Products in Cart etc.

It seems to me to adapt Quick.cart one has four options (presented from ease to difficulty):
1. An Iframe (or wrapper)
2. Extensive tinkering with the .css and page.tpl and other template files
3. Creation of new template files which replace the default template.
4. Porting the necessary PHP code from the entire existing platform into newly designed files to achieve the same actions. This might include keeping a fully installed version of the exisiting platform running "invisibly" behind the scenes, with duplicate code present, as needed, on the public viewing end. i.e. A copy of the quick.cart running on top of the current version inside a new design.

It is this 4th option Im interested in knowing more about. Is it possible? Has anyone managed to toss the entire template system out of QC and port it into their own design? Are there simpler solutions?

andykb

No avatar

2006-12-12 17:52

HelloJamieF,
I'm on the way to do that :-)

I have created a CMS and the Shop will be the same Layout when it is finish!

I change the .tpl and .css only it is not so hard as it look you must test around it :-)

Put the shop with Iframe in to a Web site is no solution for me.

regards
andy

JamieF

No avatar

2006-12-12 20:48

Hi Andy:

Sounds great. Keep me informed. I'm going the route of the .tpl and .css edits. In version4 I believe its the page.tpl. But wow, there are so many other files to consider. And I cannot get my head around the multiple <HEAD> tags in this page.tpl. It's not behaving as I would like. I want to create my own menu, that part seems okay, but I want a column on the left to display text I want in it, and then at other times to display the product categories - this isnt easy to do, I think its going to some how require me to call a distinct template.

In Joomla, all one has to do is place the php modules into their respective tables and boom you have a glorious result. The approach to templates here is much much more unweildy than I thought... struggling away...

farabi

No avatar

2007-05-31 10:44

Hi JamieF,

I am trying to setup the same idea (option 4 as you mentioned). My site is almost complete, it has my own touch and design, my own logo, company name picture menu and content etc. Quick.Cart will be used to list products and make purchase and that's all.

Example: My menu will have the following items:
Home (general info) ----> Own content
Services ----> Own content
Products ----> This must have link to product list (Quick.Cart)
Teams------> Own content
Competition ---> Own content
Contact ------> Own content
Download
Support etc

I don't like the idea about frames. The ideal option is that when a customer click on [Product] menu he/she gets a list of products, but the rest of the layout should not change at all. And I don't want to have double menu: my menu and quick.cart menu in a frame, it should be transparent to customer.

Did you or anyone else have any success in setting up this type of solution (I just don't want to re-invent the wheel if it's already there !)

Thanks in advance for any response or guidance.

merci

No avatar

2007-05-31 12:26

farabi - I'm not sure if it would work good for you,but maybe try to hide in css file parts you don't want to display in a frame, for example set display:none; for #head, #foot and #menu1 in templates/default.css

farabi

No avatar

2007-05-31 14:22

merci,
I will try that one , thanks for your prompt answer.

about us | contact