The next very important step is adding products. The "Products" tab is responsible for that. Point to this tab and choose the "New product" link. Below you can see a new product form:
It contains the following fields:
- Name - name of the product (it will be also displayed in the title of the page containing product details).
- Price - price of the product. Numerical value or plain text are acceptable. In case of plain text, it will not be possible to place an order on this product.
- Short description - short product description displayed in the list of products on the shop site.
- Full description - full description displayed after viewing the product details.
Additional panel (on the right-hand side) consist of the following tabs:
This tab contains the fields:
- Status - determines whether the product is visible or hidden.
- Position - products displaying order. The product with lower position is displayed before the product with higher position. You can use negative number.
- Product availability - in this field you can determine whether the product is available or not.
- Pages - choose a page where the product will be displayed (you can choose multiple pages by clicking while holding ctrl key).
- Theme - theme file (with php extension in the "templates/" directory in the chosen skin directory) defines product page structure (default: product.php).
- Promoted - checking this option will result in displaying the product in the left column
This tab contains data, that are not visible directly on a website, they are however very important for search engines. In the tab you can find the following fields:
- Page title - title displayed in a browser's bar, used also by search engines.
- Url name - title displayed in a browser's address bar.
- Meta description - this field contains website's short description.
- Add files
In this tab you can choose files to add from computer or server
- Select files from your computer to upload - allows to upload files from you computer's hard drive to a server. The files will be uploaded and automatically selected. Learn more »
- Select files from server - list of files uploaded to the server (search option available). After checking a file, which you want to put on a product page, additional fields will become available:
- position - order to displaying files, if there are more then one,
- description - description displayed below the file,
- localization - for images - localization where the image will be displayed (hidden/left/right/top/bottom/),
- thumbnail 1 - for images only - length of the longer side of a thumbnail displayed in subpages list,
- thumbnail 2 - for images only - length of the longer side of a thumbnail displayed in product details. To learn hot to make this option available, go to initial configuration »
This tab lists all files previously attached to the product page. All fields are identical to fields described above. One additional field is available:
- Delete - checking this field and clicking the "save »" button will delete selected files.
If the attached file is not an image, "localization" and "thumbnail 2" fields are hidden.
This tab contains the following fields:
- Theme - the theme file (with php extension, stored in the "templates/" directory in the chosen skin directory), which defines the product page structure (default product.php).
- Weight - weight of a product is required to properly calculate the shipping rate for the order
- Features - see how to define a feature, to attach them to chosen products. Features are displayed under full description in form of a table client-side.
- Keywords - field, that search engines use. Keywords are phrases related to the products.
When the product data are entered, click "save »" or "save and go to list »" on top or bottom of the page. Every time data is entered in any tab of the additional panel, it should be saved. When one adds files and photos, saving the product may take a while, because the file is being sent to the server. Wait until the process is finished, which will be indicated by an appropriate message. Avoid clicking the save button multiple times.
To see the list of all products, click the "Products" tab on the top menu under logo. Products list looks similar to what you can see on the screenshot below:
On the list the following page information is included:
- Id - product id
- Name - product name
- Pages - list of pages to which the product was assigned
- Price - price of the product
- Position - determines order by which products are displayed. Products are displayed in ascending order
- Status - if this option is checked, the product will be visible client-side.
- Clone product - click the icon to go to edit form of a cloned product
- Comments - click the icon to see comments for a given product
- Edit - click the icon to go to the product edit form
- Delete - click the icon to remove the selected product, your choice must be confirmed.
- 1. Click one of the fields: id, name, position - the list will be sorted by the chosen field.
- 2. Point to a product (in the list) to see the icon, that is a link to a client-side product preview.
- 3. Search box is placed above the list.
- 4. When product status or position is changed, it is necessary to save changes by clicking the "save »" button either on top or on the bottom of the list.
Pagination of product page content works the same way as in case of non-product pages. Go to page content pagination, to learn more.
Product preview available for admins only
The script consists of two parts: administration panel (accessible only after logging in) and the client-side part (main part of the site, visible for every visitor). To let an admin preview products before publishing them for visitors, execute the following steps:
- In admin panel point to "Tools" and choose the ‘settings’ link. In the ‘options’ tab, set ‘yes’ in the ‘Administrator is able to see hidden pages and products’ field.
- In list of products, uncheck the ‘status’ field next to products you don't want visitors to see, and then click "save »"
- In the same browser, where you are logged in to the administration, open new tab with your website (client-side). You will be able to see products set as invisible. They are visible only for user logged on to the administration, other user won’t be able to see them.
If you want to make a specific product visible for all visitors, check the ‘status’ field (see paragraph 2). Products preview allows you to check design, layout and content of a product before it's publicly available.
Point to the "Products" tab, click the "Products comments" link.
The list contains the following information:
- Name - first and last name sent in the comment form
- Comment - comment's text
- Status - checked if a comment was approved by an administrator. Each comment can be hidden at any moment.
- Delete - click the icon to remove the selected comment, your choice must be confirmed.
To add a new feature, point to the "Products" tab on the top menu below logo and click the "New feature" link.
The form contains the following fields:
- Name - feature's name
- Position - field by which features are sorted. Features with lower position will be displayed before the ones with higher position.
Each operation should be ended by clicking the "save »" button on top or bottom of the form.
To see the list of all features, point to the "Products" tab on top menu below logo, and click the "Features" link.
- Id - feature's id
- Name - feature's name
- Position - determines order by which features are sorted. Features are displayed in ascending order
- Edit - click the icon to go to the feature's edit form
- Delete - click the icon to remove the selected feature, your choice must be confirmed.
Import and export products
Point to the "Products" tab and choose the "Export products" link. Save the file on a disk and open it with an editor, such as Notebook.
The functionality allows to export products to CSV format, and to import products in this format to the script. Each product is saved in a new line, product's data are separated by "$". Find descriptions of all fields in top line of the file.
You can change product data in the CSV file. Remember to keep the correct data format (for example the "position" field must have a numeric value), and order of columns, the "$" character may only be used as data (fields) separator.
Some of the fields are described below:
- Pages - pages id's separated by a comma. For example, if a product is assigned to page with id 1 and a page with id 2, the entry should look like this: "1,2"
- Id - this is the product's id. If you want to add a new product, leave this field empty. This way during import the script won't find a product with this id and will add a new product.
The Import products link directs you to an "add a CSV file" form. The form contains the following fields:
- File - choose a file from the disc with changed product data.
We recommend to backup the database as described in the backup section, before importing products.
After each operation, changes should be saved by clicking one of the "save »" and "save and go to the list »" buttons which are placed on top and bottom of the page.
Importing the data to OpenOffice.org Calc
In OpenOffice.org Calc choose "File" from the top menu and then "Open". Select a file from disc with the CSV exported data.
Then set the options as in the following example:
Correctly imported data should look as in the following example:
When the changes are made, you can save the data selecting "File" and then "Save" from the menu. You will see a message asking about the format the data should be saved in. Choose the CSV format.